drank Bai Jiguan (2018) by Old Ways Tea

Caveat: I haven’t even been able to enjoy tea since I’ve been home from dogsitting and have in fact drank very little. This tea is just ok for me. It’s complex and strange as baijiguan is. Try a baijiguan rock oolong if you never have and want to throw your tastebuds for a little loop.

I debated editing out a portion of my life because it sounds whiney (frankly, I’m scared), but I have friends here so it stays, just moved below.

I tried some big girl panties on for size the past several weeks to push through exhaustion and anxiety. Even big girl panties rip when you’re dragging ass like my cat did across the rug the other day… And all the bits of myself I didn’t want people to see came out in full force last week. Hello, vulnerability. Yes, my cat looks at me with shame when she’s dragging ass, the same look my dog used to give while experiencing the joy of peristalsis over a very sad parcel of sandy soil in a sidewalk that once housed a tree on a steep block in San Francisco until somebody drunkenly parallel parked into the tree. That’s the look I was giving the world last week with my knitted brow. A combination of shame and “Protect me, I’m vulnerable right now”, which quickly morphed into the look of chronic pain — a defocused gaze and disinterested body language that many seem to take as a personal affront. The sweater I knitted wasn’t going over so well at work so I opted to take off the past few days.

What all that whining comes down to is I’ve had a hernia? for several months that I think may be putting pressure on a nerve in my leg which is causing my right hip to crumple beneath me along with that dull, throbbing pain that mutes any pleasurable moments one may have in the midst of SAD season. Makes doing my job difficult and I can’t work out at all. Due to changes in health insurance providers and a period without any insurance, I had put off going to the doctor until last week. I was scheduled for an immediate consultation with the surgeon, which is thankfully today.

Flavors: Camphor, Carrot, Citrusy, Coffee, Compost, Floral, Forest Floor, Freshly Cut Grass, Fruity, Gardenias, Graham Cracker, Mineral, Mushrooms, Osmanthus, Peach, Sugar, Sweet, Tangy, Yeasty

205 °F / 96 °C 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
mrmopar

Oh Gosh! Hernia , not good news. if I had read this first you would have had a longer email. I sure hope and pray you can get through it. I had a repair that put me out 8 weeks from work. Now I try to be careful not to repeat getting one.

ashmanra

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear this! I don’t know if there is anything on there that can help you, but maybe check out StopChasingPain on insta and see if there is anything that might help with the hip/leg pain! I will definitely be praying for you and hope you get relief soon! I have to keep up with lots of physical therapy exercises and stretches to keep myself moving so I hope you find something that works for you!

Martin Bednář

Oh my…
It sounds like a big trouble and I have nothing to write about it. I have totally no adivce, because, I never had a hernia. It was moreover quite hard to go through the text, as, you used probably lots of idioms; or phrases hard to translate. But that’s joys of not being native speaker.

I just hope, that everything will be fine soon, doc will find some treatment that will work for you. I will pray for you as well. There is nothing much more I can do. But I still hope you will find again some days when you really can enjoy everything, including teas!

gmathis

Praying that some sunshine finds you today—inside and out!

tea-sipper

Not whining. wishing you luck and health, derk.

Shanie O Maniac

Ouch! I hope you are ok. I will send good vibes and lots of prayers your way! I have never had a hernia before (I think) so I really have no advice. But I can pray for you. Here’s hoping things improve shortly.

derk

Thank you all, to those here and those that responded in private message. I would like to respond to all individually soon <3

Comments

mrmopar

ashmanra

Martin Bednář

Oh my…

gmathis

Praying that some sunshine finds you today—inside and out!

tea-sipper

Not whining. wishing you luck and health, derk.

Shanie O Maniac

derk

If you’re an aspiring or current tea grower, let’s talk! I am slowly beginning a tea farm here in Northern California. Currently growing are young plants pulled from the ground and gifted to me after a visit to Fairhope Tea Plantation in Alabama. The parent plants are sinensis variety from a defunct Lipton research project. I’ve also started seeds from Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina. The types include Camellia taliensis, an assamica variety, and 3 sinensis varieties including “Small leaf” “Large leaf” and “Black Sea.” I also picked up 2 older plants from a a local nursery. They were grown from seed supposedly acquired from a tea farm in Washington. To learn how to process tea into different styles, I plan on traveling to China and Taiwan if/when COVID becomes a relative non-issue. I’m taking Mandarin classes to aid in this journey.

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came, following a lone tin of some Tie Guan Yin oolong many years prior, in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most.

Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently. Drink a variety of teabags at work. Herbal teas/tisanes provide balance. Unfiltered tap water heathen (it’s good here).

One thing I will always love is riding a bicycle.

Sonoma County, California, USA