drank White Tea (2018) by Old Ways Tea

Maybe I’ve rated this Wuyi white tea so highly because it’s unlike any white tea I’ve had, very savory and assertive. Maybe it’s because I’m a fan of Wuyi oolong and black teas and this tea also clearly comes from that, ahem, terroir :P

Or maybe it’s because this tea is like strolling through a forest on a dry and warm autumn day in my home state of Ohio.

crunchy autumn leaves fallen and still falling
smoke snaking through the trees
round bales of hay left in the bright sun at the edge of a farmer’s meadow
a quick shimmy up a pine tree (this tea gets me elevated, haha)
snacking on roasted nuts and a dried sausage with apricot from my jacket pocket
mushrooms pushing up from the forest floor
plants giving out the last bit of their sweet nectar
peeling lichen from the cool limestone cliffs at the bottom of a gorge
somehow yellow peonies and cream fit in with all of this, lol, i promise

This tea is like home.

Flavors: Apricot, Campfire, Cream, Flowers, Hay, Limestone, Meat, Mineral, Mushrooms, Nectar, Pine, Roasted Nuts

185 °F / 85 °C 8 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
Evol Ving Ness

terroir

Get you! :)

derk

Current: Dodoni feta cheese and this tea are made for each other.

Comments

Evol Ving Ness

terroir

Get you! :)

derk

Current: Dodoni feta cheese and this tea are made for each other.

If you’re an aspiring or current tea grower, let’s talk! I am slowly beginning a tea farm here in Northern California. Currently growing are young plants pulled from the ground and gifted to me after a visit to Fairhope Tea Plantation in Alabama. The parent plants are sinensis variety from a defunct Lipton research project. I’ve also started seeds from Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina. The types include Camellia taliensis, an assamica variety, and 3 sinensis varieties including “Small leaf” “Large leaf” and “Black Sea.” I also picked up 2 older plants from a a local nursery. They were grown from seed supposedly acquired from a tea farm in Washington. To learn how to process tea into different styles, I plan on traveling to China and Taiwan if/when COVID becomes a relative non-issue. I’m taking Mandarin classes to aid in this journey.

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came, following a lone tin of some Tie Guan Yin oolong many years prior, in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most.

Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently. Drink a variety of teabags at work. Herbal teas/tisanes provide balance. Unfiltered tap water heathen (it’s good here).

One thing I will always love is riding a bicycle.

Sonoma County, California, USA