This Tie Luo Han was a pretty nice Wuyi oolong. A good tea to have on a dark, cold morning pre-rain. I have a 2016 harvest.

The dry leaf smelled a lot to me like the crispy edges of pot brownies with notes of dark chocolate, roasted barley, cannabis, mint, burnt sugar, roasted walnut and dark roast coffee with faint cream. Warming the leaf brought forward mostly roast, bittersweet chocolate and light caramel.

The rinse produced a thick layer of saponins on the lid of the gaiwan and after a sniff, I decided to drink it. The liquor already had an array of flavors including roast, charcoal, oak wood, orchid, pomegranate, minerals, metal like steel, and coffee with hints of mandarin orange, sweet red raspberry and jasmine. Despite the flavors and some bitterness and astringency, the mouthfeel was rather clean and juicy and the liquor left behind a light oily glaze. There was also a soothing and light aroma of caramel, marshmallow and orchid. This all continued for several more steeps with the roast and char disappearing and the bitterness fading. The tea moved into a light juicy, fruity and sweet taste, with milk chocolate, sweet red raspberry and red apple moving forward and a light aftertaste of orchid. Toward the end, wood and grass became prominents with aftertastes of hazelnut, nutmeg and light, sweet cinnamon.

I found this Tie Luo Han to be a nice, smooth and rewarding tea once I found the brewing parameters that worked for my preferences. The tea is heavily roasted but also lightly oxidized, leaving a green spent leaf. After several tastings, I found that 8g of leaf and 200F water helped to reduce the green astringency and maximize the flavors. I’d recommend this to sippers with some experience and a willingness to play around and those who aren’t put off by the initial aspects imparted by a heavy roast.

Flavors: Bitter, Burnt Sugar, Cannabis, Caramel, Char, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Coffee, Cream, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Drying, Grass, Hazelnut, Jasmine, Marshmallow, Metallic, Mineral, Mint, Nutmeg, Oak, Orange, Orchid, Raspberry, Red Apple, Roasted Barley, Smooth, Sweet, Walnut, Wood

200 °F / 93 °C 8 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Eventual tea farmer. If you are a tea grower, want to grow your own plants or are simply curious, please follow me so we can chat.

I most enjoy loose-leaf, unflavored teas and tisanes. Always on the lookout for teas from countries and regions not commonly known for tea production or those that are not well represented in the western market. I seek these teas to gain an understanding, however vague, of how this plant performs in different climates.

bicycle bicycle bicycle