drank Rose Pouchong by Fortnum & Mason

Here is a bit of an update on the “why is this Keemun called a Pouchong on the label?” topic.

No one knows.

And that is from the horse’s mouth.

All respect to Fortnum and Mason because I have had excellent customer service regarding this question. I emailed them asking why a Keemun that is labeled a Keemun in the ingredient list would be called pouchong by name. Explained that pouchong means “the wrapped kind” and queried if Keemun could be wrapped in such a manner.

I was first contacted by customer service and the gentleman said he was as perplexed as I, and would investigate. I truly did not expect to hear from anyone ever again. A couple of weeks later I had another email saying that he had not found the answer yet and was contacting someone further up in the supply chain. Another wait and another email comes saying they are all perplexed and have no answer except that perhaps it really is a Keemun that is wrapped at some point but no one he found to question knows. Apologies were offered for the lack of more information. I assure him my enjoyment of the tea was not lessened.

Did someone see the word Pouchong one day and decide it sounded fancy and possibly MEANT fancy and stuck it on a Keemun tea in a board meeting? Who knows?

Bottom line – really nice Keemun with rich, round, almost oily rose flavor. Resteeps well. Definitely all Keemun and no Pouchong in sight.

CrowKettle

Oh my gosh, Thank you for investigating! Makes me smile to know they are as perplexed as we are. XD

I agree that it doesn’t diminish the tea in the slightest, but it’s always going to make me laugh a little when I reflect on this.

ashmanra

I knew you had questioned it, too, Crowkettle, and was hoping you would see this!

Made my day :)

Martin Bednář

Nice investigation ashmanra!

Lexie Aleah

Pouchong to me always sounds like a fancy word so it sounds plausible.

Cameron B.

To me, when I hear pouchong I think of baozhong oolong? But not sure if that’s technically correct ha ha.

ashmanra

Cameron B. – You are spot on! Pouchong and baozhong are the same word and usually denote a light green oolong. It means the wrapped kind because of how it was processed, so I have been baffled at it being used as the name for a Keemun tea that is labeled Keemun everywhere. There is no pouchong in this.

I think it is a lesser known term, because the shift lead of the tea department at A Southern Season long ago said something about Grace Rare Tea having a jasmine green and I told her it was a pouchong. She seemed sceptical and said she had never heard the term and had worked in tea for a while, so I dunno…

Cameron B.

How bizarre, lol. I doubt they’ll ever change it though…

CrowKettle

Yes.. with a company like F&M, I wonder how long this tea/name has been around!

Yes.. with a company like F&M, I wonder how long this tea/name has been around!It’s true, I don’t see a lot of self-proclaimed pouchong/baozhong teas around here – except as a coconut oolong blend (twice).

Comments

CrowKettle

Made my day :)

Martin Bednář

Nice investigation ashmanra!

Lexie Aleah

Pouchong to me always sounds like a fancy word so it sounds plausible.

Cameron B.

How bizarre, lol. I doubt they’ll ever change it though…

CrowKettle

Yes.. with a company like F&M, I wonder how long this tea/name has been around!

I am a music teacher, tutor, and former homeschool mom (25 years!) who started drinking loose leaf tea about twelve years ago! My daughters and I have tea every day, and we are frequently joined by my students or friends for “tea time.” Now my hubby joins us, too. His tastes have evolved from Tetley with milk and sugar to mostly unadorned greens and oolongs.

We have learned so much history, geography, and culture in this journey.

I am also reviewing for Sororitea Sisters now!

My avatar is a mole in a teacup! Long story…

North Carolina