drank Lapsang Souchong by Lupicia
1994 tasting notes

Next in line for project “lapsang sipdown.”

The dry leaves have a smoky, salted meat smell. I’m hoping for mellowness here.

Alas, I won’t know for sure about this one until next time because I over steeped. A friend signal boosted a story of mine on Twitter, which inspired me to send some work out for the first time in a long time. I put this in to steep and then promptly forgot about it while struggling to find a market for the last story on my list to send out.

Even with the over steeping, the aroma of the steeped tea isn’t nearly as scary as the dry leaf aroma. Much less salted meat, much more appealingly aromatic campfire. The tea is a dark amber and clear.

And fortunately, even with the over steeping, this isn’t too intense. It isn’t resiny, though it does have a flavor reminiscent of pine wood. And it isn’t meaty, thank goodness.

Still, it doesn’t have the sweetness in the finish that I liked in the Kusmi and the Leafspa, and it’s a bit more ashy than mellow.

I’ll reconsider when I taste it again tomorrow but for now, I’m rating it a bit lower than the Tavalon.

Flavors: Ash, Campfire, Meat, Pine, Salt, Smoke, Wood

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 17 OZ / 500 ML

Personal biases: I drink tea without additives. If a tea needs milk or sugar to improve its flavor, its unlikely I’ll rate it high. The exception is chai, which I drink with milk/sugar or substitute. Rooibos and honeybush were my gateway drugs, but as my tastes developed they became less appealing — I still enjoy nicely done blends. I do not mix well with tulsi or yerba mate, and savory teas are more often a miss than a hit with me. I used to hate hibiscus, but I’ve turned that corner. Licorice, not so much.

95-100 A once in a lifetime experience; the best there is

90-94 Excellent; first rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Very good; will likely buy more

70-79 Good; would enjoy again, might buy again

60-69 Okay; wouldn’t pass up if offered, but likely won’t buy again

Below 60 Meh, so-so, iffy, or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

I don’t swap. It’s nothing personal, it’s just that I have way more tea than any one person needs and am not lacking for new things to try. Also, I have way too much going on already in daily life and the additional commitment to get packages to people adds to my already high stress level. (Maybe it shouldn’t, but it does.)

That said, I enjoy reading folks’ notes, talking about what I drink, and getting to “know” people virtually here on Steepster so I can get ideas of other things I might want to try if I can ever again justify buying more tea. I also like keeping track of what I drink and what I thought about it.

My current process for tea note generation is described in my note on this tea: https://steepster.com/teas/mariage-freres/6990-the-des-impressionnistes

Bay Area, California