2020 Advent Calendar – Day 21. Ohh, how I wanted to try this one! It sounded right up my alley. I LOVE chestnuts. They remind me of my childhood in Paris. Coming out of a Metro station and getting roasted chestnuts wrapped in newspaper paper from a street vendor. Add maple syrup, chocolate, apples and clementines and it sounds like an unexpected twist. In other words, it was love at first sight (on the website at least).

But in my sleepy state this morning, I forgot it was a green tea and brewed it too hot and too long. Argh… So annoyed with myself. I’m trying to take the bitterness out of the equation since it’s probably my fault, but even then, I can’t find the deliciousness I was anticipating. I do get a sort of candied chestnuts which makes sense since I sweeten my teas, and a light bright citrusy zest. The licorice is also present and I don’t know what to do with it. I actually love anis but it’s a little confusing. And as for the chocolate, I smelled it but I barely tasted it. I feel like this tea and I are miscommunicating. It wants to tell me something, and I’m getting something else entirely. And it doesn’t help that I started this “conversation” on the wrong foot entirely.

I’m going to try to do a second steep to see if I can still pull off a good cup of tea. I do wonder if it’s too late now that I have burned the leaves on the first steep. Finger crossed.

I started drinking tea 5 years ago when a friend introduced me to flavored black teas. Since then, I have developed a bit of a tea addiction. I never want to be without the teas I love, but I’m perpetually compelled to try new ones… I’ve never been a collector of anything, but it seems I do have a tea problem. Still, I work as a web designer and digital marketing specialist so I always have a tea cup by my side to keep me happy as I stare at my screen all day.

Being French and living in the US, I started with French tea companies like Mariage Freres, Dammann Freres, Kusmi, Nina’s and TheOdor (it has been a way for me to stay connected to my roots), but I’d love to find tea companies I love as much on this side of the Atlantic.

I love dessert teas. All kinds of dessert teas. Although most of my favorites are black teas, I love a few green teas, oolongs, green rooibos (I dislike regular rooibos) and I’m always searching for an infusion I can drink at night. So far, I have found very few fruit teas or herbal teas I love, but I’m still looking.

In terms of flavors, I adore almond, pistachio, biscuit, nutty types, as well as caramel, cream, cake, vanilla, toffee, chocolate, and cookies. For me, it’s all about drinking my dessert!!! I also like fruity teas like peach, melon, mango, raspberry, strawberry, figs, and even grapefruit flavored teas. I like it all except for lemon. I also love black licorice candy so licorice tea works for me.

I am discovering more floral teas and testing the waters there, but I don’t care for earl greys or chai. I have not expanded into unflavored teas yet but maybe one day.

For full disclosure I usually add a little bit of stevia to my teas.

North Carolina, USA