This is simply a bouquet of buttery lilacs. It feels like such a luxury to have rich flowers like this on the verge of winter. I particularly enjoy the sweet, rich scent that the leaves and broth give off.

It’s too bad I put off drinking this one for so long. For whatever reason, I thought it was roasted. Good job for reading comprehension, Crowkettle!

I’ll add more insight to this note if anything interesting pops up in later steeps.

Steep Count: 2

Flavors: Butter, Flowers, Grass, Honeysuckle

Lexie Aleah

Yum I keep adding more wishlist items after reading your notes but I never seem to get to buying them.

CrowKettle

You’ll get there! I 100% recommend trying out Teavivre if you’re just getting into straight Chinese/Taiwanese teas; They have lots of incentives like a cheap free shipping threshold ($30), and sampler options (2 free ones when you reach free shipping)!

Evol Ving Ness

_ It feels like such a luxury to have rich flowers like this on the verge of winter._

Your writing intoxicates me.

I am so looking forward to comparing my perceptions of teas to your insights though I seem to be waffling a bit on oolongs these days and more drawn to my beloved blacks. Or maybe it is that slap across the face from the caffeine that I long for in the mornings.

gmathis

I’ll see that “reading comprehension” comment and raise you one: at first glance, I thought the tea name was Anxiety Monkey.

Evol Ving Ness

hahhaha, and oddly, some of us know exactly what you mean.

CrowKettle

gmathis, you brightened my day with that comment and the ensuing imagery! Now I’m going to always pictures stressed out monkeys when I drink “Iron Bodhisattva of Mercy” tea. XD

Evol, honestly, I can’t blame you for not being into oolongs right now. In my mind I know too that it’s really black tea season; I’m just stuck with a cupboard backlog of all my spring an summer oolongs!

Comments

Lexie Aleah

Evol Ving Ness

Your writing intoxicates me.

gmathis

Evol Ving Ness

hahhaha, and oddly, some of us know exactly what you mean.

CrowKettle

My favourites are teas like Milk Oolong, Silver Needle,and Japanese Sencha/Gyokuro, but I generally enjoy ALL the tea, including flavoured blends and a good ol’ cup of Earl Grey.

Subjective Rating System 4.0:
I don’t give a lot of low ratings out, since I tend to grab tea I know will appeal to me.

90-100: Exceptional and all-time favourite teas. I struggle between hoarding these like a dragon and consuming them like a poorly adjusted black hole.

80-89: Favourite teas (usually flavoured) that I try to keep around when possible.

70-79: Good teas that I’ll happily drink up, but with minor issues.

60-69: Ok teas, but I may have a few problems with quality, consistency, ingredient chemistry, and/or personal preferences.

50-59: Average to mediocre cup. Personal preference issues are apparent but still drinkable.

11-49: Varying levels of undrinkable tea.

1-10: Nightmare tea from the chaos realms. This tea is the embodiment of the primordial swamp, an unholy abomination. It’s very gross and I’m almost positive it doesn’t exist.

FAVOURITE INGREDIENTS/NOTES:

DESSERT FLAVOURS
Vanilla, Maple, Caramel, Butterscotch, Cream, Toffee, Nougat, Marzipan, Butter

FRUIT & BERRIES
Blackberry, Raspberry, Currants, Blueberry, Elderberry, Banana, Melon, Pineapple, Persimmon, Rhubarb, Passionfruit

CITRUS
Lime, Grapefruit, Lemon, Bergamot, Yuzu (orange is a hit or miss)

SPICES
Anise (but not licorice), Ginger, Clove-forward chai

AROMATIC & HERBACEOUS NOTES
Musky, “Fresh,” and/or Woody Incense-like stuff: Sandalwood, Frankincense, Juniper Eucalyptus, Mints

FLORALS
Lavender, Jasmine, Rose, Lilac, Violet, etc. ALL the flowers!

VEGGIE/GRAIN NOTES
Spinach, Grass, Hay, Cucumber, Rice, Sweet Potato

Less Preferred Flavours/Ingredients:

- Stevia and most sweeteners
- Cinnamon-forward blends
- Prunes
- Dark Roasts (oolong)
- Orange (if it’s a creamsicle)
- Mango pieces (love mango outside of tea though)
- Cocoa Nibs, 95% of the time.

BC, Canada