I picked this one tea in Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon while on a guided tour through the Vietnam History Museum. There was a tea demonstration and sampling at the entrance, and the only reason(s) I didn’t come out with more tea was because I was suffering from heat exhaustion/dehydration/a three week long stomach bug, and it muddled my senses too much to do math and steal my family’s remaining dong. Man, I was sick beyond words. But tea.

Anyways, I really liked this one in my near-delirious haze, and I like it now that I’m back home. The dry leaf smells delicious. It’s sweet, toasted, slightly malty, and slightly vegetal. A vanilla ice cream in a fancy waffle cone and pineapple fried rice both come to mind. Also, strangely like Golden Moon’s Coconut Pouchong. The flavour has a similar toasty sweet-malt profile with a slight bitter-astringent nip that can be attributed to the ginseng.

I’d probably pick this up again if it was easy and convenient to do so for the aroma alone! It’s just an indicator that I need to explore the world of green tea more.

Flavors: Coconut, Malt, Pineapple, Toasted Rice

Favourite Flavours/Ingredients:

-Vanilla, Maple, Caramel, Cream, Toffee, Nougat, Marzipan
-All Citrus: Lime, Grapefruit, Lemon, Bergamot, Orange, Yuzu
-Anise, but not licorice
-Ginger or Clove-forward chai
-Rosemary
-Grass/Marine/Vegetal/Nutty Green teas
-Florals: Rose, Lavender, Jasmine…
-Musky and/or Woody Incense-like stuff: Sandalwood, Frankincense, Eucalyptus
-Berries: Blackberry, Raspberry, Currants, Blueberry, Elderberry
-Bananas, and most fruits actually.

Less Preferred Flavours/Ingredients:

-Stevia and most sweetners
-Cinnamon-forward chai/blends
-Apple & Cranberries
-Mango pieces (love mango outside of tea though)
-Coconut pieces (as a sub/filler ingredient)
-Metallic or overly artificial teas
-Cocoa Nibs, 95% of the time.

Subjective Rating System 3.0:

90-100: My absolute favourite tea. I’ll impulsively buy in large quantities and hoard like a dragon.

85-89: A favourite tea. I’ll try to keep this one around when it’s practical.

76-84: A good tea, but not one I’m likely to order again.

70-75: Alright, but I may have a few problems with quality, consistency, ingredient chemistry and/or personal preferences.

50-69: Average to mediocre cup.

11-49: Varying levels of undrinkable tea. I don’t give a lot of these ratings out, since I tend to grab tea I know will appeal to me.

1-10: Nightmare tea from the chaos realms. This tea is the embodiment of the primordial swamp, the unholy abomination that is a chimera. It’s very gross and I’m almost positive it doesn’t exist.

BC, Canada