drank Melon Oolong by Lupicia

Sipdown! (11 | 141)

Fun with milk tea!

I know, a green oolong as a milk tea is a bit weird. At least, I think it’s weird. But I was thinking about how lovely a honeydew milk tea would be, and I don’t have any melon black teas. I also didn’t realize it was going to be a sipdown until I opened the tin and saw that there was only a tablespoon left! Don’t worry, I still have two unopened packages – for me, each separate (full-size) package counts as a sipdown.

But actually, this came out really yummy! I’m amazed that not only is the honeydew flavor delicious, but I can actually taste the oolong, even with so much milk added! It tastes like a slightly milder honeydew milkshake, with the oolong base contributing its lovely silky texture and nectarous, mineral, slightly floral flavor notes.

I’m glad I tried it, because it’s really hitting the spot! \o/

Flavors: Creamy, Floral, Honeydew, Melon, Mineral, Nectar, Smooth, Sweet, Thick

Iced 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
ashmanra

I tried this one today! The oolong flavor is really strong, not at all hidden by the flavoring. With White Melon, it was more like licking a slice of honeydew! I liked it, but it really is more a fruit beverage than a tea in taste.

Cameron B.

I love melon-flavored things, so this is one of my faves! And the texture of the oolong is perfect with it! ❤

ashmanra

It resteeped well! And to clarify, it was the white melon that had little tea flavor to me. This one was tea, loud and clear!

Kittenna

Ooh, melon milk tea is what I always order. However, I have precious little of this and don’t want to use it up too quickly. Sounds good, though!

Skysamurai

Oh man… that sounds delicious.

Comments

ashmanra

Cameron B.

Kittenna

Skysamurai

Oh man… that sounds delicious.

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m a 30-something software engineer currently living in Austin, Texas with my husband and our two pugs, Gobo and Ume. I tend to cycle between my different hobbies, and they include knitting, video games, board games, miniature painting, bento, baking, and – of course – TEA! But really, what I’m best at is collecting hobby related-things… ;)

~ 2021 SIPDOWN CHALLENGE! ~
~ April Sipdowns: 35
~ Total 2021 Sipdowns: 239

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. Occasionally I’ll brew Gongfu style when I’m in the mood. I also use a kyusu for Japanese teas.

I am always up for a swap! Just let me know if you’d like to try something in my cupboard.

Current Subscriptions:
Bird & Blend
Dessert by Deb
Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms. These days, I drink mostly flavored teas, and I tend to gravitate most toward black, green, and oolong varieties. I do have a special fondness for straight Japanese green teas, however. I also enjoy maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I love matcha and drink it often!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, fig, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially passionfruit, mango, and pineapple. I am not generally a fan of coconut in tea, though there are some exceptions.

Dessert: I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. But I’m not crazy about rose or lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a starring flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out