Palais des Thés Advent Calendar – Day 2 (from November backlog)

Again, following the recommended parameters for this one. I was surprised the wrapper recommends a temperature of 195°F for an herbal, as opposed to boiling. Honestly I’m not super psyched for this blend. I don’t mind licorice root as an accent flavor, but as a major flavor it can be kind of cloying. Turmeric as well, I’m not sure I love enough to enjoy in quantity. But we will see!

I’m actually very pleasantly surprised by this. It’s very mild, and has a lovely mellow lemon flavor from the verbena. I do get some licorice, but it’s very light as well and just adds a gentle sweetness. I’m not sure I really get turmeric at all, which is surprising since I could definitely smell it in the sachet. There’s also a nice mouthfeel here, a bit thick and creamy.

I’m quite impressed with how much I enjoyed this. I probably wouldn’t order it specifically, since I have some other herbals that I really love, but I was happy to sip on this on the couch tonight.

Flavors: Creamy, Herbaceous, Lemon, Licorice, Sweet, Thick

200 °F / 93 °C 6 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Mastress Alita

I actually do my herbals at 205F… I can never tell any difference waiting the extra amount of time to go that little bit higher with the temperature, especially at the high altitude I live at.

Comments

Mastress Alita

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m a 30-something software engineer currently living in Austin, Texas with my husband and our two pugs, Gobo and Ume. I tend to cycle between my different hobbies, and they include knitting, video games, board games, miniature painting, bento, baking, and – of course – TEA! But really, what I’m best at is collecting hobby related-things… ;)

~ 2021 SIPDOWN CHALLENGE! ~
~ October Sipdowns: 26
~ Total 2021 Sipdowns: 435

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. Occasionally I’ll brew Gongfu style when I’m in the mood. I also use a kyusu for Japanese teas.

I am always up for a swap! Just let me know if you’d like to try something in my cupboard.

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms. These days, I drink mostly flavored teas, and I tend to gravitate most toward black, green, and oolong varieties. I do have a special fondness for straight Japanese green teas, however. I also enjoy maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I love matcha and drink it often!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, fig, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially passionfruit, mango, and pineapple. I am not generally a fan of coconut in tea, though there are some exceptions.

Dessert: I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. But I’m not crazy about rose or lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a starring flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out